This year, the European Weightlifting Championships (EWC) is a qualifying contest for weightlifters to compete at the 2024 Olympic Games that will take place in Paris. Today, the Championships is taking place in Yerevan, Armenia, from 15th to 23rd of April.
The Ukrainian team is also competing this year and is ready to take on the 2023 EWC 14 dedicated athletes in total represent Ukraine at the Championships this year: 9 female and 5 male atheletes.
The Torokhtiy media team went for the Championships in Yerevan to show you the backstage of the contest and support the Ukrainian participants. We’re eager to display the lifters’ life from the other side, follow the competition schedule and the leading teams’ performance. Meanwhile, you’ll be informed about the latest results of each competition day, and get to know the latest set and broken world’s records. Let’s see world champions in action together!
2023 European Weightlifting Championships Results
- 🥇Rusev Angel from Bulgaria took two gold medals: total of 250 kg, and C&J (141 kg).
- 🥈Shamilishvili Ramini from Georgia won silver in his total of 249 kg, with 113 kg in snatch by getting gold.
- 🥉Iancu Valentin from Romania got 3 bronze medals: in total of 245 kg, 109 kg in snatch, and 136 kg in C&J.
- 🥇Mishvelidze Shota from Georgia won 3 gold medals with 298 kg totally, 136 kg in snatch, and 162 kg in C&J.
- 🥈Massidda Sergio from Italy took silver: 292 kg in total, with 130 kg in snath and
- 162 kg C&J.
- 🥉Dimov Ivan from Bulgaria claimed 3 bronze medals with 277 kg total, 127 kg in snatch and 150 kg C&J.
- 🥇Sahakyan Gor from Armenia took 3 gold medals with 320 kg in total, 145 kg in snatch, 175 kg C&J.
- 🥈Hernandez Acoran from Spain won 2 silver medals with his total of 305 kg and C&J – 165 kg, 140 kg in snatch by getting bronze.
- 🥉Kahriman Kaan from Turkey got 2 bronze in total of 301 kg and C&J of 160 kg, with a snatch of 141 kg by taking silver.
- 🥇Suharevs Ritvars from Latvia took gold in total of 336 kg, with 2 silver medals: 152 kg in snatch and 184 kg in C&J.
- 🥈Sanchez Lopez David from Spain won silver by having lifted 335 kg totally, with 150 kg in snatch by taking bronze and with silver medal in C&J (185 kg).
- 🥉Zanni Mirko from Italy performed 335 kg in his total getting the bronze, by winning gold in snatch (155 kg) and bronze in C&J (180 kg).
- 🥇Reyes Martinez Oscar from Italy claimed 3 gold medals with 343 kg total, snatch (155 kg), and C&J (188 kg).
- 🥈Yuksel Batu Han from Turkey got silver in total of 339 kg by performing 152 kg in snatch with silver, and 187 kg in C&J.
- 🥉Harutyunyan Rafik from Armenia took 3 bronze medals: with 337 kg total, snatch of 150 kg, 187 kg in C&J.
- 🥇Nasar Karlos May from Bulgaria clinched total gold with 395 kg overall, 174 kg in snatch, and 221 kg in C&J.
- 🥈Karapetyan Andranik from Armenia took silver with 374 kg in total, gold medal in the category for a snatch of 178 kg, and bonze for 196 kg in C&J.
- 🥉Robu Marin from Moldova claimed bronze with a total of 364 kg, 166 kg in snatch with a bronze medal, and he got silver in C&J with 198 kg.
- 🥇Hovhannisyan Davit from Armenia took absolute gold by making totally 377 kg, 172 kg in snatch and 205 kg in C&J.
- 🥈Aghanyan Ara from Armenia secured silver with his total of 364 kg, 165 kg in snatch, and 199 kg in C&J.
- 🥉Ficco Cristiano Guiseppe from Italy got bronze with the total of 363 kg, 165 kg in snatch and 198 kg in C&J.
- 🥇Karapetyan Garik from Armenia secured the total gold due to 392 kg in total, 178 kg in snatch and 392 kg in C&J.
- 🥈Chkheidze Irakli from Georgia clinched silver by getting a total of 387 kg, 173 kg snatch, and 214 kg in C&J.
- 🥉Bratu Tudor from Moldova took bronze for his total of 374 kg, 170 kg in snatch, and 204 kg in C&J.
- 🥇Gasparyan Samvel from Armenia got 3 gold medals with a total of 395 kg, 175 kg in snatch and 220 kg in C&J.
- 🥈Chkheidze Giorgi from Georgia took 2 silver medals for his total of 381 kg and 173 kg in snatch, with bronze in C&J of 208 kg.
- 🥉Petrosyan Petros from Armenia took 2 bronze with total of 379 kg and 165 kg in snatch, by getting silver in C&J of 214 kg.
- 🥇Lasha Talakhadze from Georgia took absolute gold for his total of 474 kg, snatch of 222 kg, and C&J of 252 kg.
- 🥈Kalayan Varazdat from Armenia won 3 silver medals with the total of 462 kg, snatch of 212 kg, and C&J of 250 kg.
- 🥉Martirosyan Simon from Armenia clinched bronze in a total of 440 kg, snatch – 195 kg, and C&J of 245 kg.
- 🥇Bektas Cansu from Turkey set three European junior records by getting 3 gold medals: total of 162 kg, snatch with 72 kg, C&J – 90 kg.
- 🥈Pana Adriana from Romania got 2 silver medals: in total of 153 kg, and snatch with 70 kg, and bronze in C&J – 83 kg.
- 🥉Garcia Rincon Marta from Spain took the bronze medal in total of 153 kg, silver in C&J (85 kg), and 68 kg snatch by getting bronze.
- 🥇Cambei Mihaela from Romania set the senior record with 3 gold medals: 198 kg total, 92 kg in snatch and 106 kg C&J.
- 🥈Impreio Giulia got 3 silver medals in total of 183 kg, 83 kg – snatch, 100 kg – C&J.
- 🥉Lomachynska Anhelina from Ukraine got all 3 bronze medals in total result of 176 kg, snatch – 81 kg, and C&J in 95 kg.
- 🥇Cotruta Andreea from Romania got 3 golds with total of 201 kg, 91 kg in snatch and 110 kg in clean and jerk.
- 🥈Samuliak Svitlana from Ukraine won 3 silver medals with her total of 199 kg, 90 kg in snatch and 109 kg C&J.
- 🥉Yaylyan Izabella from Armenia got 3 bronze medals: total – 196 kg, 87 kg in snatch, 109 kg – C&J.
- 🥇Konotop Kamilla from Ukraine set a new European record by getting 3 gold medals: the total of 235 kg, 106 kg in snatch, 129 kg C&J.
- 🥈Stercks Nina from Belgium got 3 silver medals with a total of 209 kg, 93 kg in snatch and 116 kg in C&J.
- 🥉Shpilka Nadiia got bronze in total with 207 kg, 93 kg in snatch, 114 kg in C&J.
- 🥇Gungor Nuray from Turkey got 2 gold medals in her total of 219 kg, and 99 kg in snatch, and also won silver with 120 kg C&J.
- 🥈Hanhur Mariia from Ukraine claimed silver in her total of 214 kg and 98 kg in snatch, while she got bronze in C&J – 116 kg.
- 🥉Smith Zoe from Great Britain got the bronze with 214 kg totally, 93 kg snatch with bronze, and gold with 121 kg C&J.
- 🥇Toma Lorenada Elena from Romania took the total gold in the Cat. 71 kg: 240 kg in total, snatch (110 kg), C&J (130 kg).
- 🥈Miserendino Giulia from Italy won silver with total of 230 kg and 105 kg snatch, and bronze with 125 kg C&J.
- 🥉Davies Sarah from the UK took the bronze in total of 226 kg, snatch of 100 kg, C&J – 126 kg by winning silver.
- 🥇Fegue Marie Josephe from France won 3 gold medals by making 253 kg in total, 113 kg in snatch, and 140 kg – C&J.
- 🥈Hakobyan Tatev from Armenia took 2 silver medals in the total of 226 kg and 104 kg in snatch, with 122 kg C&J by getting bronze.
- 🥉Ivanova Daniela from Latvia gained 2 bronze medals in her total of 222 kg and snatch of 96 kg, and took silver in C&J with 126 kg.
- 🥇Dekha Iryna from Ukraine took 3 gold medals with a total of 258 kg, 123 kg in snatch, and 135 kg – C&J.
- 🥈Narin Dilara from Turkey got 2 silver medals in the total of 235 kg and 134 kg in C&J, with a bronze medal in snatch of 101 kg.
- 🥉Erighina Elena from Moldova won 2 bronze medals in her total of 234 kg and C&J of 130 kg, and got silver in snatch by lifting 104 kg.
- 🥇Koanda Solfrid from Norway won the total gold with 272 kg in total, 117 kg in snatch, and 155 kg in C&J.
- 🥈Manievska Anastasiia from Ukraine secured 3 silver medals by performing 238 kg in total, 108 kg in snatch, and 130 kg in C&J.
- 🥉Khurshudyan Hripsime from Armenia got total bronze with the results of 227 kg totally, 107 kg in snatch, and 120 kg in C&J.
- 🥇Campbell Emily from Great Britain took 2 gold medals for her total of 253 kg and 143 kg in C&J, while getting bronze in snatch – 110 kg.
- 🥈Hotfrid Anastasiia from Georgia won 2 silver medals in the total of 252 kg and C&J – 135 kg, and she got gold in snatch of 117 kg in the category.
- 🥉Kisil Valentyna from Ukraine secured bronze in her total of 244 kg and C&J of 133 kg, also she took silver in snatch of 111 kg.
Medal Table (Ranking by Total Result)
Medal Table (Ranking by All Medals)
Extra Vital Stats
In this section, you can see some interesting stats for each contest day. Here we’ll mention athletes who succeed to break the European records in the particular weight category.
- Cambei Mihaela from Romania broke the European snatch senior record with a lift of 92 kg in the Category 49 kg. She also broke the total European record with a lift of 198 kg.
- Konotop Kamila from Ukraine broke 3 European senior records with a snatch of 106 kg, C&J of 129 kg, and 235 kg totally in the Category 59 kg.
- Nasar Karlos May from Bulgaria broke the Junior snatch record with a lift of 174 kg. He also broke the world and European C&J record by lifting 221 kg and getting the total of 395 kg.
- Karapetyan Garik from Armenia broke 3 world and European junior records in snatch of 178 kg, C&J of 214 kg, and a total of 392 kg in the Cat. Men’s 102 kg.
23.04 (Day 9)
This day, women of the category +87 kg and men of the category +109 kg were performing on the last day of the Championships by showing the following results.
Women’s Cat. +87 kg
- The first place went to Campbell Emily from Great Britain who did 110 kg in snatch, 143 kg in C&J, and a total was 253 kg.
- An athlete from Georgia, Hotfrid Anastasiia, won silver and performed 117 kg in snatch, 135 kg in C&J, and totally she got 252 kg.
- The third place was taken by Kisil Valentyna from Ukraine for the snatch of 111 kg, C&J – 133 kg, and total of 244 kg.
Men’s Cat. +109 kg
- A total gold was awarded to the lifter from Georgia, Lasha Talakhadze who did 222 kg in snatch, 252 kg in C&J, and total of 474 kg.
- Lalayan Varazdat from Armenia took silver with his snatch of 212 kg, C&J of 250 kg, and a total of 462 kg.
- The third place was taken by Martirosyan Simon from Armenia who lifted 195 kg in snatch, 245 kg – C&J, and totally he got 440 kg.
22.04 (Day 8)
Today, men up to 102 kg and 109 kg and women up to 87 kg were competing on the 8th day of the Championships.
Men’s Cat. 102 kg
- A total gold was taken by an Armenian lifter Karapetyan Garik with 178 kg in snatch, 214 kg in C&J, and totally of 392 kg.
- The silver medal went to Chkheidze Irakli from Georgia who performed 173 kg in snatch, 214 kg in C&J, and total of 387 kg.
- The third place was for a Romanian athlete Bratu Tudor who did 170 kg in snatch, 204 kg – C&J, with total of 374 kg.
Men’s Cat. 109 kg
- The gold came to Gasparyan Samvel from Armenia who did 175 kg in snatch, 220 kg in C&J, and totally he got 395 kg.
- The second spot was taken by Chkheidze Giorgi from Georgia thanks to his 173 kg in snatch, 208 kg – C&J, and a total of 381 kg.
- The bronze medal was won by Petrosyan Petros who did 165 kg in snatch, 214 kg in C&J, and total of 379 kg.
Women’s Cat. 87 kg
- An absolute gold winner was Koanda Solfrid from Norway who did 117 kg in snatch, 155 kg in C&J, and with a total of 272 kg.
- The silver medal was awarded to the Ukrainian athlete Manievska Anastasiia who performed 108 kg in snatch, 130 kg – C&J, and totally she did 238 kg.
- Khurshudyan Hripsime from Armenia took the third spot by lifting 107 kg in snatch, 120 kg in C&J, and with her total of 227 kg.
21.04 (Day 7)
This day, women up to 81 kg and men up to 96 kg compete on the 7th day of the competition.
Women’s Cat. 81 kg
- The first place and the total gold went to the Ukrainian athlete Dekha Iryna who did 123 kg in snatch, 135 kg in C&J, and in total she got 258 kg.
- The second place was taken by Narin Dilara from Turkey: she lifted 101 kg in snatch, 134 kg – C&J, total of 235 kg.
- The bronze medal was awarded to the Moldavian lifter Erighina Elena who did 104 kg in snatch, 130 kg in C&J, with a total of 234 kg.
Men’s Cat. 96 kg
- The first place and 3 medals went to Hovhannisyan Davit from Armenia who performed 172 kg in snatch, 205 kg in C&J, and with a total of 377 kg.
- Silver was awarded by another Armenian lifter Aghanyan Ara with 165 kg in snatch, 199 kg – C&J, and total of 364 kg.
- The third spot was taken by Ficco Cristiano Guiseppe from Italy who lifted 165 kg in snatch, 198 kg in C&J, and totally he did 363 kg.
20.04 (Day 6)
This day, women up to 76 kg and men up to 89 kg compete at the 5th day of the competition.
Women’s Cat. 76 kg
- The first spot was taken by Fegue Marie Josephe from France who performed 113 kg in snatch, 140 kg in C&J, and with a total of 253 kg.
- Silver moved to Hakobyan Tatev: she did 104 kg in snatch, 122 kg in C&J, and with her total of 226 kg.
- The third place went to the Latvian athlete Ivanova Daniela: 96 kg in snatch, 126 kg in C&J, and total of 222 kg.
Men’s Cat. 89 kg
- An absolute gold winner was Nasar Karlos May from Bulgaria who broke the world and European record by making a snatch of 174 kg, C&J – 221 kg, and a total of 395 kg.
- The second place went to the Armenian athlete Kaapetyan Andranik who did 178 kg in snatch, 196 kg in C&J, with a total of 374 kg.
- The bronze medal was taken by Robu Marin from Moldova who lifted 166 kg in snatch, 198 kg in C&J, and 364 kg totally.
Exclusive Interview w/ Karlos Nasar
We had an exceptional opportunity to take an interview with the Bulgarian lifter Nasar Karlos after his historical win. We also succeed to witness some of the most grueling workouts that brought him to such an incredible accomplishment.
Let us mention that Karlos Nasar broke three world records at the Championships. He succeed to break the Junior snatch record by lifting 174 kg. The lifter also broke the world C&J record by making 221 kg. So, totally, Nasar hit the world and European record with 395 kg.
During the interview, Nasar told us that he relied greatly on his overal power, strong back and legs dominantly, as well as on his well-built training program. He admitted he would improve his snatch technique to gain his prior superb training results in this exercise. Currently, the ability to perform at the maximum is the only thing that matters Nasar.
Incredible effort to push himself to the limits and ultimate dedication made Carlos Nasar one of the world’s strongest and the most famous weightlifters for now.
19.04 (Day 5)
Women up to 71 kg and Men’s Cat. up to 81 kg were competing at the 5th day of the competition.
Women’s Cat. 71 kg
- The first place went to Toma Lorenada Elena from Romania by performing 110 kg in snatch, 130 kg C&J, with a total of 240 kg.
- The silver medal was taken by an Italian athlete Miserendino Giulia who lifted 105 kg in snatch, 125 kg in C&J, 230 kg in total.
- The third place is for Davies Sarah from Great Britain who made 100 kg in snatch, 126 kg in C&J, and with a total of 226 kg.
Men’s Cat. 81 kg
- The winner was an Italian lifter Reyes Martinez Oscar who did 155 kg in snatch, 188 kg C&J, with a total of 343 kg.
- The second spot was taken by Yuksel Batu Han from Turkey who performed 152 kg in snatch, 187 kg in C&J, and 339 kg totally.
- The bronze was won by Harutyunyan Rafik from Armenia who showed the following results: 150 kg in snatch, 187 kg – C&J, and 337 kg in total.
Interview with Nino Pizzolato
Also we to talked to Nino Pizzolato. We asked about his withdrawing from Olympic Weightlifting Europian Championship, high intensity training, results, mental power and further plans.
18.04 (Day 4)
Women up to 64 kg and men up to 73 kg were competing at the 4th day of the contest.
Men’s Cat. 73 kg
- The gold medal was taken by Suharevs Ritvars from Latvia who did 152 kg in snatch by getting silver, 184 kg C&J by taking the 4th place, with a total of 336 kg.
- The second place went to a Spanish lifter Sanchez Lopez David thanks to his results of 150 kg in snatch by taking bronze, 185 kg C&J, with 335 kg in total.
- The bronze medal was taken by Italian Zanni Mirko who performed 155 kg snatch by getting gold, 180 kg C&J with the 8th place, and with total 335 kg.
Women’s Cat. 64 kg
- A gold medal was won by an athlete from Turkey Gungor Nuray with the following results: 99 kg in snatch with gold, 120 kg C&J with a bronze medal, with the total of
- 219 kg.
- A silver medal went to Ukrainian Hanhur Mariia who made 98 kg in snatch by taking bronze, 116 kg C&j by taking the 5th place, with a total of 214 kg.
- Bronze medal goes to Smith Zoe from Great Britain who did 93 kg snatch by taking the 5th place, 121 kg C&J, and total with 214 kg.
17.04 (Day 3)
Women up to 59 kg and men up to 67 kg were competing at the 3rd day of the contest.
Men’s Cat. 67 kg
- Armenian athlete Sahakyan Gor took the first place by lifting 145 kg in snatch, 175 kg C&J, and total 320 kg.
- The second place went to a Spanish athlete Hernandez Acoran who performed 140 kg snatch by getting bronze, 165 kg C&J by getting the 5th place, totally with 305 kg.
- Turkish athlete, Kahriman Kaan got the third place with the results in snatch 141 kg by taking silver, 160 kg C&J by getting the 6th place, with 301 kg totally.
Women’s Cat. 59 kg
- The first place goes to the Ukrainian Konotop Kamilla who dominated greatly from her rivals, by showing such results: 106 kg in snatch, 129 kg C&J, with the total of 235 kg. She set a new European record by getting 3 gold medals.
- A Belgium athlete Stercks Nina got the second place with 93 kg in snatch with the silver medal, 116 kg – C&J with silver as well, totally of 209 kg.
- And the third place moved to another Ukrainian athlete Shpilka Nadiia who performed 93 kg in snatch, 114 kg in C&J, and totally got 207 kg, with 2 bronze medals.
16.04 (Day 2)
Men up to 55 kg and 61 kg, and women up to 55 kg were competing at the second day.
Men’s Cat. 55 kg
- The winner of the day was Rusev Angel from Bulgaria who showed excellent results in snatch (109 kg), clean and jerk (141 kg), with total of 250 kg, by winning two gold medals.
- The silver went to the representative of Georgia, Shamilishvili Ramini who lifted 113 kg in snatch by getting gold, and 136 kg clean and jerk with the silver medal, with 249 kg totally.
- And the third bronze place went to Iancu Valentin from Romania with 109 kg in snatch, 136 kg clean and jerk by getting silver, and totally of 245 kg.
Men’s Cat. 61 kg
- The leader in this category was Mishvelidze Shota from Georgia who made 136 kg in snatch by getting gold, 162 kg in C&J by getting silver, and 298 kg in total.
- The silver medal goes to Massidda Sergio from Italy, with 130 kg in snath with the silver medal, 162 kg C&J by getting gold here, and 292 kg wholly.
- Dimov Ivan from Bulgaria took the 3rd place with the results of 127 kg snatch by getting bronze, and 150 kg C&J taking the 7th place, with 277 kg totally.
Women’s Cat. 55 kg
- The 1st place – Cotruta Andreea from Romania performed 91 kg in snatch by getting gold, 110 kg in clean and jerk with a gold medal as well, totally – 201 kg.
- At the 2nd place we see Ukrainian athlete Samuliak Svitlana who made 90 kg in snatch with silver, 109 kg C&J with silver medal as well, totally of 199 kg.
- And the bronze moved to Armenian weightlifter Yaylyan Izabella who showed the following results: 87 kg in snatch, 109 kg – C&J, 196 kg in total.
15.04 (Day 1)
At the first day of the EWC, women of two weight categories up to 45 kg and 49 kg competition were competing.
Women’s Cat. 45 kg
- An athlete from Turkey Bektas Cansu dominated the contest by setting three Europe junior records in snatch (72 kg), clean and jerk (90 kg) performance, with total 162 kg. She took the first place in the category up to 45 kg.
- Pana Adriana from Romania got silver with the results in snatch (70 kg), clean and jerk (83 kg) performance, with total 153 kg.
- The bronze went to Garcia Rincon Marta from Spain who performed 68 kg snatch and 85 kg clean & jerk, with total of 153 kg.
Women’s Cat. 49 kg
- The 1st place went to Cambei Mihaela from Romania who showed the record of 92 kg in snatch and 106 kg clean & jerk, with 198 kg totally.
- The 2nd place was taken by an Italian athlete Impreio Giulia showing 83 kg in snatch and 100 kg clean & jerk, with 183 kg totally.
- The 3rd place went to Lomachynska Anhekina from Ukraine, resulting with 81 kg in snatch, 95 kg clean & jerk, with total of 176 kg.
Video Reviews (Day-by-day Vlog)
Author: Tanya Shaiko
News Editor, Olympic Lifting Enthusiast
Best Results: Snatch – 61 kg,
C&J – 78 kg
I’m Tanya, and I love lifting weights. 6 years ago, I picked up Olympic weightlifting and fitness. Weightlifting is a unique sport because it’s just you against the bar. There are no teammates to help you out; it’s all on you.
I’m also passionate about helping other women achieve their fitness goals. That’s why I started my blog and write some products reviews. I want to show other women that they can do anything they set their mind to!